Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Today was a ruff day

 

Hi to all my followers. I know I haven’t posted in a long time, but please know you are all in my heart.

Today was a bit of a tough day.  I’ll get through the details quickly, and I hope you’ll read through to the end, so I can let you know, once and for all, how I saw the world you let me share.  Ok – here goes – I woke up a little fuzzy-headed, saw Mom and came over to her, and she hugged me.  She called for Dad, and he came downstairs and gave me a big hug, too.  I got real tired, and then went to sleep.  They put me in my big bed, and covered me in my great maroon blanket – how do they always know when I’m cold.  I couldn’t hear them for a while, but then, when I woke up a little later, my back and legs didn’t hurt anymore, and I don’t know how, but I could see Mom and Dad, and if I looked a little left, I could see John way over in Philadelphia, and to the right I could see Thomas and Elizabeth in my good ‘ol home town, Chicago.  She seems great - I wish I’d gotten to meet her.  I turned around and jumped up into my big old junky blue couch – how’d that get here – and settled in to watch the show.  If you hear me bark, don’t worry, I’m still looking out for my family.

Mom – thanks for taking a chance on a mangy, skinny, long-haired, not house-broken puppy.  You are the best friend a guy could have.  I hope I gave you a millionth of the happiness and good times you gave me.  Keep walking – I’m right by your side…the right side…on the parkway…smelling that tree – just give me a second, ok??  Seriously, though – how lucky could a dog get in the shelter lottery??  A mom who bakes, and makes that yummy pasta....and, well, everything in that kitchen was yummy.  I’m glad we got to spend some time in your great new house.  You deserve to be back in your home kennel – everyone there is great – a place to be happy forever.  I know you pretended to be all gruff sometimes, but you didn’t know that I knew (that YOU knew that I knew…) how much you love me – we’re always going to be a team.  How about one more piece of cheese for the road…   plus, you had those kids….

…and how about those kids.  John and Thomas are the best pals I could have hoped for – do you know how many crazy brother talks we all had on those walks?  Sometimes I thought you couldn’t understand me, but hey – lots of times I couldn’t understand you, either…  them’s the breaks.  It’s still amazing to see you now – it seems like just yesterday you were little Pookie and Scrunchie, and now you’re fine young men starting their own journeys.  Thanks for all the walks, and talks, and scritchies and hugs.  I will always remember how we helped each other find the right path – it’s been fun being part of your lives – thank you for letting me grow up with you.

Finally, Dad – my partner in crime – thanks for helping me in all of my shenanigans and pranks.  One day you’ll be as clever as me, it’ll just be a little harder to help you learn, now.  But don’t give up – there’s more good in the world than you think is possible.  Listen to it every once in a while.

I think that’s about all the time I have…I think I have to go now, but remember:  I’ll always be around.  Watching, helping where I can – I can’t wait to show you the amazing view from our good old junky blue couch…still can’t figure out how it got here…

 

Love, and more love always and forever –

Herr Dr. Prof. Mr. Chauncey Roo DeMastri

Thank you for letting me add that last part to my name.

Arf.

No comments:

Post a Comment